The 2012-2013 season kicks off for Auburn basketball in Auburn on November 9 against IPFW. The Tigers will put a team on the floor that hopes to match the performance of last year's squad. They lose 42% of last season's player minutes and look to make that up with the contributions of a Top 100 recruit and four other incoming freshmen.
The Auburn defense will suffer from a 71.1% drop in blocked shots, the largest gap that the team will need to fill. That's followed by rebounding, where they lost another massive 51.1% of last season's numbers.
Auburn finished with an overall record of 15-15 last season and placed 10th in the SEC West with a conference record of 5-11. In postseason play, the Tigers lost to Ole Miss 68-54 in the SEC tournament. Auburn will feel the loss of last year's seniors Kenny Gabriel (31 minutes per game), Adrian Forbes (14 MPG), Tony Neysmith (10 MPG), and Jake Drum (1 MPG). The Tigers must also do without Varez Ward (27 MPG), Josh Langford (13 MPG), Willy Kouassi (transferred to Kennesaw State), Cedrick McAfee (6 MPG), and T.J. Rice (1 MPG).
The Tigers get back senior Frankie Sullivan (12.6 points/game), senior Rob Chubb (8.1 points/game), junior Chris Denson (8.7 points/game), junior Allen Payne (4.3 points/game), and senior Josh Wallace (2.2 assists/game).
Auburn brings in a Top 100 Recruit this year. Jordan Price is a 6-5 forward from Lithonia, GA and is the #70 ranked recruit in the country.
The Tigers welcome other freshmen including 6-5 Shaquille Johnson, 6-6 Nick Pellar, 6-3 Brian Greene Jr, and 6-8 Jordon Granger. The team also picks up 7-0 junior Asauhn Dixon-Tatum, 6-4 junior K.T. Harrell (transferred from Virginia), and 6-8 junior Shareif Adamu.
The Tigers will go up against five AP preseason Top 25 opponents, including #25 Florida State on January 2nd, #3 Kentucky on January 19th, and at #15 Missouri on February 2nd. The first SEC game for Auburn will be on January 9th against LSU.
Tags: Kenny Gabriel
- Since 2002, Auburn has an overall winning percentage of 50.4%.
- The Tigers have an average conference finish of 6.6 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 4.4.
- In a 10 year period, Auburn has signed 1 Top 100 high school players. Over 10 seasons, the Tigers have signed 3 Top 100 players.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 112.8.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Kentucky (#1).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Grambling State (#341).
- Auburn has 5 Preseason AP Top 25 teams on the schedule.
, Adrian Forbes
, Tony Neysmith
, Jake Drum
, Varez Ward
, Josh Langford
, Willy Kouassi
, Cedrick McAfee
, T.J. Rice
, Frankie Sullivan
, Rob Chubb
, Chris Denson
, Allen Payne
, Josh Wallace
, Shaquille Johnson
, Nick Pellar
, Brian Greene Jr
, Jordon Granger
, Asauhn Dixon-Tatum
, K.T. Harrell
, Shareif Adamu